Sew grow clothes designed to grow with your children and last more than one season. Vêtements pour se transformer en. Ropa para crecer en. Oдежда для выращивания в. Kleidung hineinwachsen.

Hats three ways


This week while continuing to work on my patterns, I also continue to amuse myself with other stuff, (read continued on with Bristols winter  wardrobe). I had seen a lot of  "hats" as distinct from beanies on the internet, so I  picked three and made one of each.






The first one which I have named the "Navigator" (after that film the Navigator by Vincent Ward.) as the hats creator didn't give it a name as such, ( "up cycled boys hats" ) Cheeky ae?!?

The Navigator  looks okay, it got the thumbs up from Dave.




I made it from scrap sweat shirt knits and fleece and the red and white knit  has zero stretch, so I reckon it will fit like a helmet rather than a hat.



I pinked the raw edges on the binding and hand sewed the binding to the hat, for a rustic look and pinked a couple of circles for the  thing- a- me-gig on the front.







The pattern is from I am Momma hear me roar. I'm going to make this one again, in stretchy knits and I will shape it up the sides more as its looks boxy to me.







The second hat is a "bonnet". It was simple and very straight forward to make. Again I made it from sweat shirt knit, that has a little stretch. Looks good me thinks.

















The pattern was from Schnabelina found on  Farbenmix.






Finally I made a head band scarf. I tried the one from Kerstin Husovic  as I liked the piece she had put in the middle, between the headband and the scarf, it seemed to give it more shape. Its a very easy make, and I but I am a bit hmm about the end result of this one. I think it's some thing you have to see worn.

I think its the colourways I'm not liking. 

Believe it or not I don't like that floral fabric. It sings old lady to me. I was talked into buying it, talked into making a dress (which was yuk and I tossed) and I think I should just get rid of it finally.


Anyways, the pattern is Prinzessin Aleyna  from Kerstin Husovic  found on  her blog.





But hey, I have not finished with hats yet:

  • The white bonnet needs some embroidery, 
  • And because I can't resist fiddling, me thinks and I think a frank-en hat, made out of the bonnet body and the navigator hat ear flaps piece will probably be my ..... crowning glory!?


Summary: Where to find Patterns

  1. Navigator "up cycled boys hats"  I am Momma hear me roar
  2. Bonnet from Schnabelina found on  Farbenmix.
  3. Scarf headband-  Prinzessin Aleyna  from Kerstin Husovic  found on  her blog.

Cheers Liz

PS all these patterns are supplied by the authors for free / gratis / libre / gratuit